My Little Dashie

Talk about fanfics in the Archive here!

My Little Dashie

Postby Epic_Hooves » Thu May 31, 2012 11:01 pm

This didn't quite fit in any of the other categories, so I'm just putting it here. LINK HERE
My Little Dashie is perhaps one of the most moving fanfics I've read in a long time, I laughed, I cried, and finished the story feeling... different.
Spoiler: show
It's a crossover fanfic, where a brony in a dying neighborhood finds a box, abandoned, with a filly Rainbow Dash in it. Throughout the course of the story, she matures, from a little filly in a big, unknown world, to a mature, loving mare, who's come to terms with what she is. Overall a pretty interesting story.

This story is my #1 favorite non-explicit fanfic, with #2 being "The Party Hasn't Ended"
Seriously, read this story.
Last edited by Epic_Hooves on Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not always gay, but when I am, it's for fictional male ponies.
Stay horny my friends.
I've got a fucking Tumblr!
Epic_Hooves

Location: My computer, furiously typing (Or clopping, depending on the time) away.

Re: My Little Dashie

Postby Enigma Shade » Thu May 31, 2012 11:29 pm

I read that story when I first became a brony. Well... beyond just watching the show, that is. I honestly did not like the story in the least. I can see why others do, but I don't. Of course, most of these stories everybody loves I tend to dislike (including Cupcakes and Fallout: Equestria). I guess I'll stop here before I start pointing out flaws and stuff...
Enigma Shade

Postby Epic_Hooves » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:14 am

Ok, after I got off of my emotional high I read my post... it sounded weird in retrospect (Moody, I guess) , and wasn't written like I usually do, so take it with a grain of salt. Yes I understand why some people don't like it, but it was interesting to me, and I was pretty bored.
Stay horny my friends.
Epic_Hooves

Location: My computer, furiously typing (Or clopping, depending on the time) away.

Postby JadeRing » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:23 pm

I really tried getting into this story. I really did. I even read all the way to the end.

But holy crap if that first act doesn't grate my nerves.

It's just so poor-pitiful-me that it takes me out of the story. It gets better when Dash gets older (and I'll freely admit that the ending moved me a bit) but as a whole, I don't get the praise.
I write, therefore I am.
JadeRing

My Little Dashie

Postby Ovr9000percentcooler » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:53 pm

My first time reading it wasn't that emotional, because I had just started to recognize the fandom. After a while, I read it again, hoping I would understand a bit more to the story. Boy did I. My Little Dashie is probably one of my favorite fan-fics.
Ovr9000percentcooler

Postby RBDash47 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:05 am

I did an interview with the author about MLD over at the Pony Fiction Vault a few months back.

I liked the story, though reading it wasn't the religious experience for me it seems to have been for others... but I can see why it could be so compelling.
Rainbow is best pony.
RBDash47
Site Admin

Postby CloudMistDragon » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:37 pm

I've read this story before, definitely overrated, but really enjoyable. I don't understand why so many people say that it's "emotionally moving" though, I seem to be the only one who thought it was kinda silly.
CloudMistDragon

Postby Enigma Shade » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:39 pm

I would assume so, Cloud, because my review of the story is not as nice as "kinda silly." But that's only because I'm an overly harsh critic when it comes to what I read.
Enigma Shade

My Little Dashie

Postby Umbra Scriptor » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:30 pm

I can understand why people could get emotional over it. I won't waste your time (and eyesight) by trying to convince you guys why, but if you really throw yourself into that guys shoes, really feel like you're him, it really pulls at your heart strings.

I guess I feel a bit stronger about it because I had a somewhat similar situation (minus Rainbow Dash) with my own child. Idk, but it is a good story, is well written, and obviously touched more hearts then just mine.
Sono morto tanto tempo fa.
Umbra Scriptor

Postby Epic_Hooves » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:29 am

I always put myself in the character's shoes in pretty much any story, that's why I'm so hooked on Human Crossover.
Stay horny my friends.
Epic_Hooves

Postby Chessiecat » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:28 pm

I did my absolute best to give this story it's fair due. It is, conceptually, an interesting and altogether painful narrative about extreme loneliness and the depression that comes with a sense of near total disconnection from your fellow human beings.

In conveying those ideas, it succeeds beautifully.

It falls down somewhat in the narrative and development of the characters. The entire thing felt... mmm... like the product of sadness untempered by forethought. I DID enjoy it. I mean, I had just finished reading 'Dangerous Business' and was completely stoked to read the other famous fics out there but this one didn't hit me right in the feels near as hard as something like 'Eternal' or the ending of Fallout Equestria did.

I was a mess for three days after I finished Eternal and Fallout Equestria just broke me. I couldn't write for a week straight. I'm more careful these days.

My Little Dashie is a great idea marred by an iffy execution. I'd love to see it re-written or with another draft under it's belt. It's not a BAD story by any means but throughout all I could think is 'This could be better'.
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/34706/S ... -Noir-Tale
Help! My story has gone insane and it's trying to kill me!
Chessiecat

Postby RBDash47 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:28 pm

Chessiecat wrote:My Little Dashie is a great idea marred by an iffy execution. I'd love to see it re-written or with another draft under it's belt. It's not a BAD story by any means but throughout all I could think is 'This could be better'.

That's actually exactly what the author thinks.
Rainbow is best pony.
RBDash47
Site Admin

Postby XineLegacy » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:39 pm

I read it a year or two ago to see what all the fuss was about. There were A couple paragraphs towards the end when she's leaving, and a bit of the dialogue from the narrator of the story that weren't all too well written. Not saying I could do better; it was still great, perhaps even excellent overall, but it's not perfect.

Or maybe I just don't know 'cause I don't read eat-a-hole-in-your-heart-sad stuff very much.
Careful with that.
XineLegacy

Postby The Masked Ghost » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:11 pm

I remember hearing the reading of it on YouTube...I remember I cried so much...I kind of started to gag...while on the floor on my knees...but now...I don't even care...kind of find it to be boring actually....
Moon Crabs are the best...
The Masked Ghost

Return to Story Discussion