Your First Ponyfic

New? Come say hi!

Your First Ponyfic

Postby MoronSonOfBoron » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:27 pm

or, Getting To Know You: Confound These Ponies, They Drive Me To Fanfiction!

What was the first MLP:FIM fic you wrote?
Talk about your first MLP:FIM fanfic and your experiences surrounding it, particularly how it connected you to the fandom and community.

Other questions to consider include but are not limited to:
Was it the first fanfic you've ever written? What other fandoms have you contributed to? Does your pony stuff differ from your other works?
What inspired you to write it? Was it a character or event in the series itself, or discussion about them? Was it someone else's fanfic or art?
How was it received by the people who read it? Where did you show it off? Will you go back to change anything about it?
What else have you written since? Even if you haven't, do you have plans to do more pony fanfics?

Be sure to post a link to your story, especially if it's here on the archive. And if it isn't... make it so!
I'm a pretty little filly who respects anime women for their intelligence and strength in the face of danger
Storm PrincessArchive #46samutoka @ devART
MoronSonOfBoron

Re: Your First Ponyfic

Postby RBDash47 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:29 pm

Sticky'd, 'cause I like this idea and my username is red, so nyah.
Rainbow is best pony.
RBDash47
Site Admin

Postby Draco_2k » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:54 pm

I second Dash's motion. Okay, let's see... But let's keep it brief.

The first thing I wrote was about the dawn of nuclear war in Equestria. Figures, right? It was the first thing I ever put on paper - well, Notepad - and writing it was some of the best time of my life.

Then I submitted it to Equestria Daily and everyone hated it and I felt like curling up in a sad little ball somewhere.
Draco_2k

Postby ADriftingThought » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:19 pm

Well... my first and only ponyfic so far is 'The Logical Option'. Here's the link to the story: http://www.ponyfictionarchive.net/story.php?story=86

Possible spoilers below

The idea for the story just sort of came to me one day while I thought about the show, and it just wouldn't completely leave me. Another thing that influenced my writing was watching the show and thinking, "they're able to do all these things with magic... so why have I seen nothing with mind control or mind-related magic?" That was when I conceived Sigmund. He was a pony that differed from all the other ponies in the fact that he was mentally powerful, rather than physically powerful. The idea of "the Gatekeeper" started from a personal belief that some of us have a hidden intelligence within ourselves that we have trouble expressing to those around us.

The only thing I truly regret about the story is how I wrote Chapter 10. None of the readers accurately pointed out the chapter's flaws back when I posted it on ponychan. I've kind of beaten myself up over how I failed to recognize and correct the most controversial part in the entire story. It's too late to go back and rewrite it, but I'm thinking of a way to properly address this problem with Sigmund's character in a future work.

So far, it has been well received. It still has a 6-star tag on Equestria Daily, but I'm noticing that the actual rating has been slowly dropping. Maybe it has to do with the people who have been giving certain stories one-star ratings for having certain tags. I don't know if the tag can be removed if the rating drops enough, but who knows. I will definitely be writing more... just as soon as I get my finals over with.
Last edited by ADriftingThought on Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ADriftingThought

Postby Drakomis Reign » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:22 pm

Jumble Spuzz, however it is on hiatus until I finished Gilda's Adventure.

Type in "Anagonia" into google and you'll find the majority of my stories or random posts.

JUMBLE SPUZZ

Jumble Spuzz is a story based off the show and without indication of crossover story lines. I realized I was being an idiot to my potential and with that started on...

GILDA'S ADVENTURE

...which incorporates all of my role playing worlds and is currently making me very happy to be a My Little Pony Brony whatever. Because while I get the references, no one else does, and therefore I have to explain in only the way I can the characters not related to MLP FiM. So yea...
"Wisdom is knowing you have no wisdom, thus you attain it."

==Disclaimer==
I am a douchebag. If you think I have issues with you, you're probably wrong. So feel free to ask questions. Otherwise, deal with it.
Drakomis Reign

Postby HeatWave » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:44 pm

My first ponyfic was The Gratitude of Night
http://www.ponyfictionarchive.net/story.php?story=1

I stuck with a short story this time because all my other projects have been (and remain thus far, except for my pony fics) unfinished because I write myself into a corner and find I have no idea how I want to continue.

It's a mostly Luna-centric fic formed from an idea that came to me shortly after watching the first few episodes that had to do with my own personal take on the backstory of Nightmare Moon and Luna.

I believe the biggest issue that brought the whole thing forward was why Celestia could not revert her sister with the Elements of Harmony whilst the individual mane cast was able to do just that.

On a side note, why does everyone believe that Celestia can just randomly send stuff to the moon? According to the backstory she was only able to do that using the elements anyway, not at a whim.

Anyway, It's essentially my take on how Nightmare Moon came forth, why the mane cast could do what they could, and what, exactly, was in store for Twilight Sparkle, who I was beginning to notice an enormous amount of coincidental material concerning her character. This was all before I really became involved in the fandom, so I didn't realize that I was just touching upon previously speculated material, a fact I didn't learn until long after the fic was completed. I also wanted to show that Twilight, at least (being the only Pony who seemed aware of the whole Nightmare Moon thing to begin with), would try to do her part so that what she read about the origin of Nightmare Moon wouldn't happen again. It remains the first fan-fiction piece that I have written and successfully completed.

Fun Fact: The prologue and epilogues were added almost as an afterthought, as I felt some more exposition was needed, and wanted to involve the other characters a bit more. The biggest complaint I received was my take on Rarity, who several people thought came off too strong. My response to that was that because of the bit parts of most of the mane cast, I exaggerated their personalities to compromise.
-Nothing ever goes according to plan, so go plan nothing accordingly.
HeatWave

Postby number9 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:24 pm

I actually just got around to wrapping up my first fic, Sunny Skies Forever. Basically, I got an idea while asleep, and it stuck long enough for me to take notes and get started. The final structure came from, duh, Sunny Skies All Day Long on the blog. Sent it to the SFG on ponychan, and there it lays now. People seem to like it, so I guess it means I did well, but I've no plans to continue the main fic. The secret ending, on the other hand...
Well done. Here come the test results: 'You are a horrible person.' That's what it says. 'A horrible person.' We weren't even testing for that.
number9

Postby MoronSonOfBoron » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:33 am

Draco_2k wrote:Then I submitted it to Equestria Daily and everyone hated it and I felt like curling up in a sad little ball somewhere.
I remember watching a short bit of Gene Simmons' reality show, "Rock School", when he took in a bunch of English schoolchildren to be his apprentices. Among them was a fat kid who could speak fluent Tolkien Elven; this pudgy geek and outcast was the one Simmons chose to be the band's lead singer, his argument being something along the lines of "Every rock star started out as a weird loser".

Um, not sure where I was going with that...

ADriftingThought wrote:So far, it has been well received. It still has a 6-star tag on Equestria Daily, but I'm noticing that the actual rating has been slowly dropping. Maybe it has to do with the people who have been giving certain stories one-star ratings for having certain tags. I don't know if the tag can be removed if the rating drops enough, but who knows. I will definitely be writing more... just as soon as I get my finals over with.
You certainly seem ambitious. No teasing us with any plans or story ideas?
I'm a pretty little filly who respects anime women for their intelligence and strength in the face of danger
MoronSonOfBoron

Postby dapples » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:30 am

My first fanfiction was actually written probably over ten years ago. It was back when I was a huge Lion King fan. I still think you can find it at tlk.org under the pseudonym Matthew Sorenson. I refuse to read it now, because I hate how bad my writing was back then.

My first ponyfic was I Still Don't Wanna Stagger Home, which is here: http://www.ponyfictionarchive.net/story.php?story=9&chapter=1

The story was inspired by real life events, and I basically just substituted Rainbow Dash for myself and Applejack for my best friend. I was going through some complicated emotions at the time, and I just happened to be really getting into the show when I saw an interesting opportunity to express those feelings, and I feel I did just that. As for its reception, it seemed kind of cool at first, though it did get accepted pretty immediately at EqD (increasing my disappointment when my next work would be rejected). Just the other day, I had a brony call it his favorite fanfic ever, which felt pretty damn good. I'm not interested in tinkering with it, though the label on it as Chapter 1 (not something I included) has led me to consider that maybe some people want to see it expanded upon. I've written 2 2/3 stories since: 1 2/3 featuring my OC and the other for the SFG. I have some stuff planned for the future: finishing the current three-parter, writing a story where I basically chronicle my upcoming experience of seeing my extended family when I attend my grandfather's funeral, and the Rarity horror story that will remain in limbo until I have a better idea of what to do with it.
dapples

Postby RBDash47 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:26 am

dapples wrote:I'm not interested in tinkering with it, though the label on it as Chapter 1 (not something I included) has led me to consider that maybe some people want to see it expanded upon.

*cough* Mistake (corrected). One-shots are just supposed to have the title at the top. That was one of the first stories added to the site (actually, I can't find it in the submissions records, and its ID is low enough that it must be one of the originals I added on my own(?) so that must have gotten messed up in the conversion).

That being said, if you came up with some interesting follow-up, I'd love to read it... but don't write one just to write one, it stands well on its own.
Rainbow is best pony.
RBDash47
Site Admin

Postby Nightbreak » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:17 pm

My first ponyfic was from MLP Tales and was about eighteen years ago, written on a Commodore 64. (64K of RAM and that was a gooooood thing!) Yeah, it kind of preceded the Internet era.

It was horrible. My skills were non-existent back then. ^^; Thankfully, no trace exists of this atrocity and this is my first time back in the Pony fandom since about 1995.

I've spent the last few years in the Harry Potter fandom and have only recently escaped back into the multiverse.
"It's a hundred and six miles to Canterlot. We've got a bale of hay, two dozen apples, half a jug of Applejack's moonshine, it's dark, and we're being chased by an Ursa Major."
"Hit it!"
Nightbreak

Postby Novakhast » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:52 am

First ponyfic? Hmm, let me see... That's a tough one, actually.

But, the first one I can remember (I'm pretty sure it was my first) was one called Luna's Goodwill Tour. It's still unfinished as of the time of this posting, but I always try to keep hope.

Still, great story though. Reads like a good book. Subplots, interesting OCs, main/mane six are believably in character.

Anyways, I'm such a fangirl for Luna stuff. It's going to be interesting come October or beyond to find out the actual Luna will be wildly different from 'fanon' Luna. Ah well. If worst comes to light, I imagine there will be two Lunas. The official and the fanon.

EDIT: I misread the topic! *blushhhh* :oops: This was the first ponyfic that I READ, not wrote >< Sorry sorry sorry.
Last edited by Novakhast on Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Novakhast

Postby HiddenBrony » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:52 pm

I think the question was about the first one you wrote, but I suppose the first one read is of interesting issue as well. Everyone should know by way of my signiture that my first fic was 'Hop, Skip, and a Jump'. And if anyone spoke with me for any length of time, you'd probably know that the story was supposed to be about Fluttershy becoming more confident in herself via help from AJ and PP.

If you've read it, that is far and away not the case of what it ended up as.

Perhaps it's due to my first ponyfic that I ever read being Chistery's Rose Tinted, which I happened upon when I first started lurking /co/ and she posted it. And it's still one of the best stories I ever read in this fandom... too bad it doesn't have a whole lot of chance being finished...
Proprieter of the Hop, Skip, and a Jump series.
HiddenBrony

Location: In front of my computer, between the video games and the SunnyD.

Postby Drax99 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:21 pm

Well so far Angst Much is my only Fic ever, although I am working on others now. I too was turned down by EqD, first for being too short, since I only sent chapter 1, then for having a self insert, which he wasn't.. but close enough to be debatable. When I did debate they decided it was "Too much" for them, and pointed me to a crappy clopfic site that hadn't been updated in months. I have also been told to try Chan boards, but I try to avoid them for multiple reasons.

So yea, I got kinda sad, since I had no idea where else to post it. Then I saw them not only post some fics with things in it that they turned me down for, but the bastards even quoted one of my ideas and made fun of it. Now I'm pissed. Friggin double standards. I've seen clopfics, I've seen shorter stories than my first chapter, and I've seen WAY too many friggin self inserts and OCs. They just like to play favorites, it seems.

Finally I got some advice from a friend, I found 3 places to post. Here, from a post I found, My DA page, which I had never actually used, except to leave comments, and FanFiction.net.

Now, I get tons of people following my story, and lots more looking forward to future projects. EqD Can get bent. I wont be submitting anything to them. I know where I'm not wanted, and I'll stick to sites like this that want to read my work.
"Darkness is not the absence of light,
But merely the inability to perceive."

AS SEEN ON THE INTERWEB!
DeviantArt
FanFicion.net
Drax99

Postby Novakhast » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:49 pm

Oh dear, silly me. That's what I get for depriving myself of sleep. :oops:

First one I wrote? It's not exactly pony-related though (Soon, I swear upon it). Wow, hmm. that goes a long ways back. I know none of them exist anymore except in my own dusty backups, never again to see the light of day. They were Pokemon fanfics, back when Red/Blue were having their hay day. I can't even fully remember what it was supposed to be about, since I don't think it was ever finished. I'd get halfway through it before deciding I disliked parts of it and rewrote pieces from earlier sections.

First ponyfic though? I'm hoping on sometime before the month is over. I've got a collection of ideas floating around, many of them already written down in outline format. Hurray!

(I feel silly posting here without anything actually finished yet :oops: )
Novakhast

Postby MoronSonOfBoron » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:35 pm

Drax99 wrote:Angst much?

Sorry to hear that, but you really shouldn't get so bent out of shape about it or take it so personally. Your future fics won't be the same as your past ones, and EqD is a really great way to get exposure and feedback; continuing to submit your fanfiction everywhere you can will only do you good. That said, I can highly recommend Ponychan's /fic/ section for critique. From what I've observed, there's a handful of avid reviewers who are constantly working to find various works and encouraging authors to improve. EqD prereaders redirect declined stories there for a reason!

I would suggest you look for "Midnight's training ground"; it's run by one of the EqD pre-readers, and you should be able to get better feedback there.

Look at the facts: this was your first fanfic EVER, you said so yourself in the author's notes. There's likely going to be errors and missteps all over the place, and you'll just have to learn from others what works to improve your story, and what doesn't.

I can tell you straight up from a very quick perusal of the story in question: ditch the author's notes. There's a saying in politics: "If you're explaining, you're losing." Don't bombard folks with the meanderings of your thought process and apologies and personal affairs unless it's actually part of the story itself. Readers don't want to hear you talk about the story; they want you to tell the story. (I'm not saying you can't share your thoughts with others, but make it easy for yourself and don't risk alienating your readers when they're trying to, you know, read.)

Again, don't feel discouraged or bitter. So what if a purple unicorn just showed you up after your trailer home was smashed by a bear? Pick yourself up and try again in season 2.
MoronSonOfBoron

Postby Drax99 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:32 am

I've been thinking bout that to be honest. But I feel I need to at least put a warning on the explicit chapters. I have gotten a few peeps that said the author's note is what drew them in, but just as many that read it and ran away.

Meh... I didn't take it personally till they made fun of me, while accepting the same shit I was getting declined for. Till then I was like, oh well I tried. Now it's personal.

Oh well I have plenty of other places to post. I have moved on.

Edit: Woohoo! Just did a google search for Angst Much, 3 hits on the first page are mine! EqD can suck it! (ok, mebbe I still have a little resentment left)

AS SEEN ON THE INTERWEB!
DeviantArt
FanFicion.net
Drax99

Postby dapples » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:10 am

Its alright, a lot of us PFAers are still grudging on EqD for rejection of one sort or another.
dapples

Postby RBDash47 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:25 am

Drax99 wrote:But I feel I need to at least put a warning on the explicit chapters.

The explicit chapters do have warnings at the top.
Rainbow is best pony.
RBDash47
Site Admin

Postby Drax99 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:17 am

They do in this site (thank you for that), but not elsewhere I published, that's why I have it in my author's note.

AS SEEN ON THE INTERWEB!
DeviantArt
FanFicion.net
Drax99

Postby HiddenBrony » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:38 pm

dapples wrote:Its alright, a lot of us PFAers are still grudging on EqD for rejection of one sort or another.

I feel like a dick for bringing this up for discussion, but is that really true? I've actually started to read fics again(I write and I write but I never stop to read sometimes), and I haven't been met with anything that isn't too blasé.

Spoiler: show
The reason I feel like a dick for bringing it up is because my first fic ended up 5-stared with a 4.8 rating... before my side stories brought it down.
Proprieter of the Hop, Skip, and a Jump series.
HiddenBrony

Location: In front of my computer, between the video games and the SunnyD.

Postby MoronSonOfBoron » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:32 pm

Getting back on topic (and reserving the EqD grudges for another thread), I guess it's about time I shared my story.

The Sweet and Sorrowful was my first pony fic, and the first full fanfic story I've completed in a long while. It was composed over the course of a feverish, sleepless week in March, soon after I had fallen in love with MLP:FIM. It was really a liberating experience; that same week I had to loan my laptop to my father for a business trip, so I was stuck using a computer that had none of my video games and other distractions on it. This plus copious free time and a relatively empty house let me rekindle my passion for writing.

So, in a way, MLP:FIM did stir something deep within me, but it wasn't necessarily the magic of friendship like so many other fans have experienced.

My motivation for TSaS was to make a Trixie story unlike the others I had seen at the time; most fics I perused for research cast her as a down-on-their-luck washout who could hardly take care of herself, or a poorly obsessed romantic. This was not the Trixie I fell in love with in Boast Busters. I wanted to write a stronger, more self-assured Trixie, with her own measure of angst and sadness for sure, but an entirely different way of dealing with it, one that I felt was closer to her brash and unabashed personality as seen in the show thus far. Even though ultimately the solutions and help came from an outside source, Trixie was already doing everything she could to fix her situation on her own, even if she may have been misguided.

Originally composed for EqD's Friendoff, I spent a week in /co/ feedback hell before finally submitting it and getting tagged as "way late but looks promising". It's a 5-star but is pretty obscure as far as fics go.

Spoiler: show
As for my very very first fanfic ever, it was Pokemon. Of course, I've long since lost the document, but my brother tells me it was amazing and funny and well-written, particularly considering my young age. Something about mounted cavalry riding on Nidokings...
MoronSonOfBoron

Postby N-K » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:42 pm

^ I remember the Sweet and Sorrowful! The story with Trixie and her father... I was genuinely moved by that one. :)

My first story kind of came about given this picture on ponibooru: http://ponibooru.413chan.net/post/view/17780

...and the subsequent discussion as to whether Soarin' and Applejack would make a good pairing. Given that I'd been dithering whether or not to get back into writing again, I saw it as a challenge and had a go for it: http://www.ponyfictionarchive.net/story.php?story=58

It actually spawned a bit of fanart, of which I am very grateful to cbs. (http://cbs.deviantart.com/#/d3hsbju) :) It got a good rating on EqD, but of late they've kind of stopped accepting stories from me after I made the tragic mistake of trying to submit an M/M story.

I've been writing fanfiction on and off for about eight years now, and I started in the Abhorsen trilogy by Garth Nix, and dabbled in the fandoms of Star Wars, Eragon, Lord of the Rings, Warhammer 40,000, Star Fox, Fast and the Furious, WipEout Fusion, Assassin's Creed, and most recently alongside My Little Pony, the Temeraire series [Still contemplating trying a crossover between the two]. Don't ask for stories from that period, they make me cringe just thinking about.
N-K

In Soviet Russia, sites are banned from you!

Postby Draco_2k » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:52 pm

N-K wrote:...but of late they've kind of stopped accepting stories from me after I made the tragic mistake of trying to submit an M/M story.

The fuck? I heard the rumours, but that's just off the charts. I know for a fact one M/M was accepted in the latest friend-off, are you sure?
Draco_2k

Postby N-K » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:17 pm

Well, on the ponychan M/M thread, a couple of previous submissions got turned down, and mine hasn't even actually been rejected - it's just been two weeks and nobody's replied to me at all save for a vague explanation by Midnight on the 'ask a pre-reader' board. I asked Buttersc0tch Sundae over on DA and she says she's heard of similar issues. Could be I'm getting paranoid but eh. Can't be helped. Sundae advised me to go here though, and it certainly seems you guys are more tolerant. :)
N-K

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself!