My Little Pony Fan Labor Wiki

Updates and information about the site.

My Little Pony Fan Labor Wiki

Postby Tulipclaymore » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:43 am

Hello. I'm an administrator at the My Little Pony Fan Labor Wiki. The name is a little unwieldy, but the purpose is not: the wiki aims to catalogue this fandom's productivity, be it in the form of fan art, fan games, videos, music, or fan fiction, among others. It is not a repository (like the Pony Fiction Archive), but an encyclopaedia: we host pages which summarise the fandom's activities in any of the many fields which are of interest to the wiki.

So I would like to invite everyone here to participate; you do not need a wikia account to edit an existing article or even to create a new one. There are almost no restrictions to creating new pages either for your own work or some other work you would like represented on the wiki.

For a piece of fan fiction, for example, all that's required are a link to and an adequate summary of the text. For instance:
  • a page with just the summary (e.g. "Five's Company"),
  • a page with some additional analysis/interpretation (e.g. "The Glass Blower"),
  • a page which also lists derivative works (readings and the like) and/or public behind-the-scenes information like inspiration and multiple versions (e.g. "Rainbow Factory"),
  • an author page which can serve both as a hub for the author's general body of work as well as a place to highlight stories that are too short for a page of their own or don't have one for other reasons ((e.g. Carmine's page).

Every contribution matters, no matter how small, including spelling corrections on existing articles or helping cite fan fiction examples on character pages. If you'd like to help, that'd be greatly appreciated. If the last between-seasons hiatus is any indication, the fandom is going to grow a great deal more until the next new episode, and the wiki has the opportunity of becoming a central information resource to newcomers, and maybe to more experienced fans as well. I've certainly noticed the work of quite a few people I wouldn't have discovered without the wiki; the wiki isn't primarily a promotional tool, but that is a neat side effect. If you have any questions (like about technical aspects or our few content restrictions), please don't hesitate to ask.
Tulipclaymore

Re: My Little Pony Fan Labor Wiki

Postby Arby Works » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:50 pm

I have a wiki account, and am wondering, am I allowed to post my own work in the Fan Wiki, and if so, do I have a limit on what?

Question 2: Is there a sort of basic index of things I'm allowed to post? Like, "Artists", or, "fanfics", etc.?
Deviant Art I FiMFiction I FanFiction
I take art requests. Que: 7 images left.
Arby Works

Postby Tulipclaymore » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:47 pm

Arby Works wrote:I have a wiki account, and am wondering, am I allowed to post my own work in the Fan Wiki, and if so, do I have a limit on what?

Well, you can't copy your own work to the wiki; that's what the Archive and FIMFiction are for, after all. But you can certainly create summaries of your work; there are no restrictions on that other than everything needs to be encyclopedic: neutral tone, accessible to everybody (meaning it must use only public sources), reasonable length.

Question 2: Is there a sort of basic index of things I'm allowed to post? Like, "Artists", or, "fanfics", etc.?

Pretty much everything the fandom does can get pages within the above parameters. Fanfics and related forms (videos, comics, games) certainly, well-known characters, but also pages about people (writers, artists, musicians) if they can be made long enough.

The wiki's front page (linked to in the first post) should give an overview over the most popular areas of the wiki, and some of the more offbeat stuff that's less easy to categorise (like the BronyCon documentary, the Toast Beard competition, or Ponies in Minecraft) is available from the sidebar. If you take a look at a couple existing pages and just go by that, you shouldn't run into any problems.
Tulipclaymore

Postby Hazencruz » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:44 pm

What if you've only written like, one fanfic? And you're pretty much a friendly neighborhood nobody of any relevance?

In other words, what about shameless self-inserts?
A story that begs the question, "What is a God?"
Hazencruz

Postby Tulipclaymore » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:07 am

Hazencruz wrote:What if you've only written like, one fanfic? And you're pretty much a friendly neighborhood nobody of any relevance?

In other words, what about shameless self-inserts?

The wiki doesn't judge. If you want to create a page with a summary of your story (as published), you are free to do so.
Tulipclaymore

Return to Administrivia